Museum spaces

edificio
The building
 The Museum is not only a museum, but it also houses the Restoration Laboratory, the Library and the Historical Archives, which represent, for their scientific contributions, centres of excellence on an international scale.
From 1777 the building, built in the mid-500, was subjected to a long series of restoration and extension works entrusted to the architects F. Fuga and P. Schiantarelli.The floors can be reached by a great staircase and a lift.
Altogether, the Museum covers about 18.500 square meters, about 8.550 of which are used as exhibition spaces, placed on five floors: basement (Egyptian and Epigraphic Section), ground floor (Farnese Section), mezzanine (Mosaics, Secret Cabinet, Numismatics), first floor (Sections of Frescoes, Bronzes, Prehistory, Temple of Isis, Villa dei Papiri), second floor (Collection of Medals). Other 6.000 square meters are used as warehouses and about 3.400 square meters are used as offices and services (Library, Historical Archives, Restoration Laboratory).
The building
giardini
Historical gardens
 The inner gardens occupy the two courtyards that are on the sides of the main entrance of the Museum. In the first months of 2016 they have been cleared and arranged; these works have allowed the public to visit them again after several years. A temporary Roman garden has been reconstructed in the eastern garden with a pergola of vines and roses and sculptural elements to coincide with the exhibition “Mito e Natura”.
Historical gardens
deposito
Warehouses
The warehouses of the Museum, named “Sing-Sing” in a humorous way because of the presence of imposing gates and safety gratings, contain tens of thousands pieces that have to be restored and exhibited. They largely come from Pompeii and Herculaneum: They are above all objects of everyday life made of bronze, clay and glass, which have been found in the seventeenth-eighteenth century excavations. Pots, plates, food containers, scales, candelabra and oil lamps are on the shelves. Another warehouse, occupying the rooms on the ground floor and in the basement, is known as “Deposito delle Cavaiole”.
Warehouses
Storia del museo
Archives and Library
 The Library contains more than 40.000 archeological and numismatic  volumes and specialized magazines and every publication relating to the Museum. The volumes can be found both through the traditional paper catalogue and the on line catalogue.
The Historical Archives keep the documents relating to the life and the functioning of the “Real Museo Borbonico e Soprintendenza agli Scavi del Regno”, one of the most ancient museum institute of preservation in Europe. They have been subjected to several transformations in time – both in the title and in the range of competences – becoming “National” with the Unity of Italy.
The documents, which come from mid-700 to about 1920, concern two main activity fields: the Museum (including the Picture-gallery, transferred to the Museum of Capodimonte in 1957) and the excavations, beginning from the excavations of Pompeii, Herculaneum and Stabiae to other excavations carried out by Government and private citizens in many places in Southern Italy and in Campania.
At present, the Archives consist of about 12.000 files, 300 drawings and 180 handwritten volumes containing the ancient inventories of the Museum. All this material is catalogued in a data base and uses the ancient classification according to thematic and/or topographic categories which has been respected and re-established in the reorganization carried out in the last years.
Archives and Library
laboratorio di restauro
Restoration Laboratory
The restoration laboratory carries out an activity intended to meet not only the internal requirements of the Museum but also the external requirements connected with the archeological relics of the excavations supported by Superintendencies.
The laboratory carries out its activity even thanks to some relations of cooperation at international level; for example, for a long time it has collaborated with Getty Conservation Institute in Los Angeles (USA), with which important restoration works have been carried out. These works have affected permanent collections of the Museum, such as “Apollo Saettante” coming from the excavations of Pompeii, the Statue of Tiberio coming from Herculaneum and finally an Apulian pot from Altamura. After the restoration, the findings are temporarily exhibited in the American museum.
Restoration Laboratory
Printworks
They include about 6.000 copper sheets used to print books promoted by Charles III. Recently the volume “La reale stamperia Borbonica” and the respective exhibition promoted by “Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato” (State Printing Institute) in Rome run through its history and heritage.
Printworks
Comments are closed.