On July 20th Mr Paolo Giulierini, Director of the Museum, presented the Strategic Plan 2016-2019 for the MANN. It is an act of sharing and transparency, it is a way of presenting the guidelines, the objectives and the strategies, which will be implemented next years, not only to the outsiders but also to the town.
The stalls were crowded at the presentation, among the audience there were Mr Gabriel Zuchtriegel, Director of the Archeological Park of Paestum, and Mr Jean Paul Seytre, Consul General of France.
The Strategic Plan, provided for by the regulations in force on new autonomous museums, is a real innovation as regards the managerial procedure of cultural places.
The Strategic Plan, drawn up by Mr Giulierini and Mr Ludovico Solima, teacher of Management of Cultural Enterprises at the Second University of Naples, with the collaboration of the internal staff, provides for an increase of 15% of the exhibition spaces of the Museum, the re-arrangement of three sections and the addition of two new sections for the year 2019.
As regards the quality of services and the visiting experience, the digitalization of the collections will be completed; moreover, the restoration laboratory will be enlarged.
The reception services will be improved (reorganization of the ticket office and the cloakroom within the year 2017, organization and expansion of the toilets and construction of a temporary cafeteria until the opening of a refreshment-room in the New Wing of the Museum). Accessibility will be carefully studied in order to give all the visitors the possibility of using the museum spaces (digital devices in Braille language, scale reproductions of the works, informative films in LiS, etc.).
The Strategic Plan provides for a large number of events:
– Archeology at the MANN: archeological exhibitions deal with particular historical aspects of the heritage exhibited and correlate with Neapolitan culture, such as “Mito e Natura” and “La reale stamperia borbonica” in 2016, “Pompei e la Grecia” in 2017, “Pompei e gli Etruschi” in 2018
– From the warehouses of the Museum: exhibitions of materials kept in the warehouses
– Reflections upon the ancient world: exhibitions and events, such as Picasso in 2018 and Canova in 2019
– Contemporary and ancient art: contemporary art in relation with the grandeur of ancient art or in constant dialogue with it
– The Museum as host: niche exhibitions will house just one masterpiece of an institute on rotation
– MANN4KIDS: specific visits and workshops for kids.
Mr Nino Daniele, spokesman for the Arts of the town council of Naples, and Mr Sebastiano Maffettone, adviser of the President of the region Mr De Luca, were present at the presentation.
Mr Antimo Cesaro, deputy-minister of the MIBACT, expressed his great satisfaction and his hope that what appears extraordinary today becomes the standard of management for a great international museum, such as the MANN.
The declared objective is to increase the number of visitors from 360.000 in the year 2015 to 500.000 within the year 2019 and the signals are already more than positive since in the first six months of the new management the visitors have increased by 15%.